The Art Education Department offers graduate studies that lead to a master of science in art education and eligibility to apply for New York State professional certification to teach art in grades pre-kindergarten–12 (PK-12). This certifying degree program requires 30 credit hours of study and enables students to acquire competence in theory, research, and methodology in art. Within the required program format, students are encouraged to pursue individualized programs of study.
Advisement: Academic advisers are assigned by the department and must be consulted each semester in order to register for courses; however, students remain responsible for fulfilling department and college requirements specific to the program.
1. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) in the major area of study and 2.5 overall, or a minimum combined quantitative/verbal score of 290 on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
2. Submit a copy of a New York State Certificate of Qualification (CQ) initial certificate to teach art. If you are a recent graduate or are just completing your undergraduate program at the time of application, you must submit documentation showing that you have completed all requirements for certification (i.e., copies of test scores and certificates of workshop completion).
3. Writing sample of the applicant’s best work. The writing sample must be 450-500 words, double spaced, and can be a clean copy of a formerly written concise paper or written specifically for the application. The content must reveal the applicant’s understanding of any theoretical aspect of art or art education. Writing samples will be evaluated for content, organization, and the use of standard language conventions.
4. An interview with the Art Education Department chair.
Requests for exceptions to admission requirements may be directed to the department chair. In addition, all applicants should review the Admission to a Graduate Program section in the Graduate Catalog.
Required Courses 6 credits
AED 688 Seminar
AED 689 Research
Content Specialty Courses * 15-21 credits
Art education, fine arts, design
General Studies Courses *0-6 credits
Master’s Project or Master’s Thesis * 3-6 credits
AED 690 Master’s Project
AED 695 Master’s Thesis (6)
Total Required Credit Hours 30 credits
* Selected under advisement
All courses are 3 credit hours unless otherwise indicated.
Some content on this page is saved in PDF format. To view these files, download Adobe Acrobat Reader free. If you are having trouble reading a document, request an accessible copy of the PDF or Word Document.